to this page from time to time, to check out our specials and packages.
Packages with Accommodation
Photography Packages and instruction at Aurum Lodge
For over ten years, we have hosted photography workshops and tours from our exceptional location. Whereas other providers have jumped on the bandwagon, we believe that the events based out of Aurum Lodge are truly unique for a number of reasons, such as:
- operating in a spectacular area with a unique micro-climate and diversity means we spend less time in our vehicles and more time photographing,
- partnering with knowledgeable guides and instructors who know the area inside out and don't just come here once a year to guide a tour...,
- offering all in packages, which include your photography event, accommodation, meals and more, so you know what your cost will be (make sure when comparing events held elsewhere, the quality of your instructors, accommodation and what's included in your packages),
- small groups with six to eight participants max.,
- flexible itineraries which allow us to work around and make the best of ever changing mountain weather, trail conditions, and locations. Our photographers do not work off a rigid itinerary, but will take you wherever the conditions are the most promising at any given time.
Why spend extra money to join a small group or private tour rather than venturing out on your own?? Here are some of the benfits:
- Tours and workshops are fun as you meet likeminded people and can learn a lot not just from your guide / instructors but also from other participants,
- No need to worry about where to go when or what is the best time of day for a specific location or subject,
- No need to spend a fair bit of time to scout out different locations or learn about local weather, so you can come back when the conditions are good,
- Safety concerns are minimised when working in a group compared to venturing out on your own (note that you are always responsible for your own saftety but your guides will point out risky areas or situations, which you may not be aware of),
- You get to explore locations you would likely not find on your own (we try to avoid the "icons" which are shown and described in every guidebook...'
- Your chances of returning home with more and different successful images are significantly greater
Should you book a workshop or a tour?
This depends primarily on your goals / objectives:
If you feel you would like to learn more about and improve your photography skills, then we recommend you join a workshop. These are a little more money as the instructors are working with the participants ALL the time. The events follow a certain schedule, include formal tuition, assignments, review sessions, etc.. Roughly 50% of your time is for formal instruction with the other 50% in the field, practising what you learnt.
- If you are comfortable with your level of expertise and simply wish to spend maximum time in the field( dawn to dusk!) photographing landscapes and nature, then a tour may be your choice. Tours are less formal, instruction or advice is provided on a more "ad hoc" basis in the field and your guide / instructor will also be spending some time photographing. As a result, costs tend to be somewhat less.
Our current offering of scheduled workshops and tours is as follows.
If you are looking for a specific personalised learning experience, these are also available.
Ladies' Photography Weekends with Leslie & Mark Degner
"girls only" photo events a photography workshop / field trip for ladies who are keen to learn more about nature photography. If you would like to spend more time taking pictures but have always felt intimidated by tech talk and
bulky gear, these hands on courses are for you...
- Thursday, 3rd July 2014 to Sunday, 6th July 2014 (intermediate to advanced level) a few spots available
Small Group photography tours and workshops with oopoomoo
(Darwin Wiggett/Samantha Chrysanthou)
- NEW E5 = "Coal Mines, Canyons and the Canadian Rockies" -
HDR Photography Workshop with Darwin Wiggett / Samantha Chrysanthou and guest instructor Royce Howland - Thursday, 29th May 2014 to Sunday 1st June 2014 (three nights)
filling up fast!
- E4 = Fall Photography Workshop with Darwin Wiggett / Samantha Chrysanthou - Tuesday, 23rd September 2014 to Sunday 28th September 2014 (five nights)
FULLY booked, waitlist only
- "Beyond the Icon" Nature Photography Workshop with Darwin Wiggett / Samantha Chrysanthou - Tuesday, 21st October 2014 to Sunday 26th October 2014 (five nights)
- E5 = "Fire and Ice" Photography Workshop with Darwin Wiggett / Samantha Chrysanthou - Tuesday, 4th November 2014 to Sunday 9th November 2014 (five nights)
- New - Winter Discovery Photo Adventure tour with Darwin Wiggett and Samantha Chrysanthou of oopoomoo (3 nights each)
Back by popular demand in a revised format!
Ew1 = Thursday, 15th January 2015 to Sunday, 18th January 2015
Ew2 = Thursday, 5th February 2015 to Sunday, 8th February 2015
Small Group Photography Tours with Royce Howland
Fall / Autumn photography tour with Royce Howland
Tuesday, 30th September 2014 to Sunday, 5th October 2014 (5 nights)
NEW Winter mountain photography tour with Royce Howland
Saturday, 24th January 2015 to Wednesday, 28th January 2015 (4 nights)
Note: We recommend booking early! If tours or workshops are fully booked, we suggest you still contact us to be put on a waitlist or receive information as to additional field trips we may be arranging at a future date.
Reservations for the 2014 oopoomoo photo workshops should be made through oopoomoo. For all other packages and photo tours out of Aurum Lodge, we will handle reservations and can answer most of your questions. Note that a reservation is only guaranteed, once a deposit has been received, so call us if you wish to book.
If you are a member of a camera club and interested in organising an exclusive field trip for your group, do let us know.
oopoomoo.com also offers personalised photo tours or photography instruction in the area for up to four people at certain times of the year with one or two professional photographers (if the timing of the regular group tours do not work out for you, if you prefer a more private setting or are looking at specific techniques or mastering more complex equipment such as tilt-shift lenses). Why not use your next vacation to include a learning experience and improve your nature / travel photography skills?!
there are 1001 reasons for this place of all seasons...